Sunday, June 24, 2012

Catching up



Well it has been 3 or so weeks now since my last post! Really didn’t mean for it to go that long. I started to write a post, but I never got it to my computer.  That is one of the problems I have found. I have time to write, but it never seems to be when I have my computer with me. I don’t necessarily want to carry my computer around with me all of the time, it is a little on the heavy side, so maybe I should starting thinking about investing in a tablet. Those however are rather expensive, and I really do enjoy writing things out by hand first, I am weird that way I know, so for now I will just have to be better about how I spend my time when I do have my computer in front of me.
Bliebkastel

Just to catch you all up, I will give you the short version, and get started, I promise on filling in the details in other posts.  If you absolutely can’t wait, well Chris has his version of events here.

Let’s see the last thing I talked about was the Saarschleife.  The next Friday Valerie invited Chris and I out to where she lives in Blieskastel.

Zoo
The next day (Saturday) Chris and I went to the zoo. I had been wanting to go for just about forever. I am really a dork that way. I love going to the zoo, and in Boise I would go quite often without any excuses like children to accompany. I just wanted to go, and sometimes I would go alone. That is how much I love the zoo.

The following Thursday, the 7th was the last holiday during the semester.  Chris and I decided to take advantage and scheduled another sightseeing tour.  We stayed with another one of Chris’s highschool friends and saw Köln (Cologne), Bonn, Windhagen, and Linz. It was a great weekend.  Here is a map of our travels:


Köln
Since getting back from Köln it has been more school. Our final is on the 6th, so we don’t have a lot of time left.  On the weekend we have just stayed home concentrating on studying for tests and catching up on some rest.

The Friday after we got back we returned the favor and had Valerie over to look at where we live. There wasn’t as much to see, but it was fun to walk around again and remember what it was like the first time we saw things here.
Bonn

This past weekend we stayed home again. Chris found a store we hadn’t been in yet. We thought it was going to be really expensive, but it wasn’t, and they have traditional German clothing. Chris was able to find some Lederhosen. I tried to find a Dirndl but, as is the case here with most clothing, I couldn’t find one that fit. :( I am looking on-line and at the costume shop here in town, and so hopefully I will find one that will fit.

Besides studying we have been watching the Europa Meisterschaft. It is the yearly international soccer tournament. Germany has been doing really well. They haven’t lost a game yet! The only team that hasn’t lost or tied!!!! They play again on Thursday and we are going to go to public viewing. Yes, I have been watching soccer and cheering along with everyone else. It is a little crazy how into a sport you can get when everyone else is interested in it. So a public viewing is just a big gathering of fans to watch the game. We went to one with some of Chris’s classmates. This game was from the first round, and the game on Thursday is the Semi-finales so it should be even bigger.



Pretty Castle we didn't visit



We have also been attempting to meet up with the exchange students going to Boise State in the fall. There are 4 of them. We have already met with one and we are planning to meet up with 2 others on Thursday. Chris is excited about having some more people to talk German with in Boise.

Linz
I have had a few Fulbright woes, and I will go into detail about them later as well. I will just say for now that we are planning to go to Berlin almost right after our final so I can turn in my papers. And my last step to have everything ready is a doctor’s appointment on Wednesday.

I think that gets you all filled in for now. Sorry about the lapse! 

No comments:

Post a Comment