Saturday, February 11, 2012

If it isn’t one thing it is another…


This past week has been an emotional one. One Wednesday I went to Idaho Falls to see my Dad for a week.  The timing, although I was worried about it, turned out to be perfect. One of my little sisters, Abby, was baptized on Saturday and I was able to see some family members I wouldn’t have been able to see otherwise. My Grandma, Grandpa, and Aunt Jana were able to come up from Utah. It was so great to spend some time with them.

While I was in Idaho Falls, I took a trip down to Blackfoot to see my mom’s Dad, Pa, and I met one of my cousins for lunch. I don’t get to see Pa very often and we were only able to have a short visit, but I was super happy to talk to him and see him. He is getting a little bit on the old side—he turns 81 this year I believe.  His wife, my Grammie died almost two years ago and ever since he hasn’t had the best outlook on life. Saying goodbye this time had extra weight, because although I believe he still has a few years left, there is always that fear he won’t be there next time. 

On Monday one of my cousins returned home from his mission in Seattle Washington. It was the first time I had seen him in over two years. It was good to see his smile, and to get a hug. I was going to go back down to Blackfoot on Tuesday to spend some time with him and his family, but earlier on Monday I had come down with a head cold. Just what I needed the week before I fly out.  It wasn’t really bad on Monday, and I didn’t think it would be that big of a deal. But when I woke up on Tuesday, I was dizzy. So dizzy, I had to be careful when I got up. I saw black spots, and nearly pass out. I got myself set up at the kitchen table with a big cup of water and Hulu, and sat there for most of the day. I finally ate something around 2. (I didn’t have an appetite before.) After drinking about of gallon of water I started to feel better –around 3. I am really glad that I began to drink water so early. It would have been disastrous if I ended up passed out, and needed to go to the hospital for an IV.  Despite being too sick to go and see more family on Tuesday, I am pretty sure staying home avoided a bigger problem.

It seems as if everything that hasn’t gone “according to plan” has turned out alright or even better. My cold is lessening and I am pretty sure I will be over it before the plane ride. I just hope the timing isn’t where Chris will get sick before we go, or even worse on the plane. I don’t think I will share, but you never know.
 
Other things have happened this week that have helped create the emotional roller coaster I have been riding. This blog post is already getting to be a bit on the long side so I will only talk about two. I told you all before about the issue I had with my Fulbright scholarship application. I forgot to put my resume in the original packet. I planned on sending them a letter with the resume asking for their pardon, but before I did—I kept forgetting to go to the post office—I got a letter saying they received my application and to await news of appointment (well possible appointment) in April. I thought, “I am glad I didn’t send that other letter off. I must have gotten the resume in the packet and I was just being paranoid.” A couple of days later I got another email saying something to the effect of, “upon closer inspection your resume was missing”. Instead of saying that I am no longer eligible, they just asked me to email them my resume! I am so glad that I am still a candidate for the scholarship. Now all I have to do is wait patiently for April to arrive before I will know what I will be doing this fall.

While I was in Blackfoot I found out the Student Wohnheim (dorm) on campus had to close displacing 280 students or about. I was worried I how that would affect my housing, but Wednesday got an email with my placement. I will be living in Waldhaus. It is between the University and the city, so I think it will be a good location. I was also informed in that email I need to transfer 760 Euros to secure my room. (Roughly $ 988)That is a combination of the first month’s rent, and security deposits. The problem, however, is my student loan money isn’t distributed to the University until the 18th at the very earliest, and where that is a Saturday it will probably be closer to the1st before I get what is left. I spent the last of my money going to Blackfoot, except the couple hundred dollars I have for the first few weeks in Germany. So needless to say I don’t have the money to pay the deposit before the deadline. I have sent an email to the housing department explaining the situation and asking if there is anything I can do to keep my room, without the deposit on the 12th. With the closure of the one Wohnheim, I don’t know if they will be able to be flexible for me. If not, I am sure I will be able to figure something else out. At least I am keeping faith that things will all work out for the best. And not getting my own apartment may turn out to be better than I had planned, but we will see. Keep your fingers crossed for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment