Friday, May 4, 2012

A very full two weeks

Oh goodness. It has been almost two weeks since I have blogged last and I have been meaning to get one written, but of course there is always something that manages to get in the way. I really want to cheat and tell you to go here for updates on what I have been doing and photos, but I will talk a little (well a little for me) about them as well. For more details check out the link.

In the past two weeks Chris Iris and I went to a tennis tournment in Stuttgart. It was my first tournament and we got to see some really great players, like Sharapova (in pink and black) Ivanovic (in green and pink), Jankovic (in blue), and Wozniacki (in Yellow and orange). Basically all of the top female players were there! Chris was literally in seventh heaven because it was the Porsche Grand Prix. Watching tennis and surrounded by Porches. Which I have to admit was pretty darn cool :) Oh and Chris and I played tennis with our feet!


 The last two matches of the day, the really big ones we were super excited about, ended early because one player retired due to an injury. That was disappointing but I got some good footage of the best players' serves. The technique I am really working on my own playing right now. So I am excited to look at that more closely.



Our speed on the Autobahn.... 150mph
Chris and I had a long weekend, and we were going to go someplace, but the time off kind of caught us by surprise. We did get out of Saarbrücken at least for a day and went on a couple of day trips. Saturday Chris, Ben, and I went to Saarlouis, just a few minutes away from home.
Ben actually works out there at the Ford factory. We saw a little bit of the downtown area and some ruins the city is in the process of renovating. Then we went for a little drive to a small town where we stopped at a Biergarten for a drink. It was a beautiful day.


We were really close to the French border, and so we thought it would be awesome to take a picture of us at the boarder sign. Then we went to a castle, not exactly sure where, and walked around a bit more. It was a great day. There is so much to see and the landscape is so pretty that everyday it isn't raining too much to be outside it is a good day.

 On Monday Chris and I went to Sarrguemines (Sog-a-mund). It is in France, and well neither Chris or I speak a word of French. I needed to go to Saphora to get some make up they don't sell in Germany and we decided to be adventurous. Sarrguemines is the last stop on the Tram we take every morning to school. That meant getting to and from was going to be easy, the hard part was getting around the town. We didn't get lost. Thank goodness! But we didn't do a whole lot of wondering around either. We were hungry and so before going home we stopped at Subway. That was an interesting experience. We didn't speak French and the girl there didn't speak German or English. Well she could speak a few words of German, but not enough. There was a lot of pointing and head shaking, but eventually it was all figured out and we got what we wanted. The sandwich was super expensive 8 Euros, and not as tasty as I remember in the states, but filling.  We made it back to the train station without any mishaps, well unless you call running into, not literally thank goodness, an old man peeing in the street a mishap.





 The first of May was Tag der Arbeit, or the German labor day. The really cool thing about that is they actually get the day off! No school, no shops are open. It is an actual holiday for everyone, not just congress and banks! Go figure right?

May first is also May day and traditionally the Germans go on a Maitour. Basically it is a really long walk around the area. There are little Biergardens set up in the parks of the different towns. We walked from one to the other and through the woods. We, Ben, Iris, Chris, Myself, Iris's brother and his fiance (Mark and Linda), Linda (yes another one) and Myriam.
It was cloudy, and no one wore sunscreen.
Well, a few people hurt...

We filled our Maiwagon (just a wagon) with drinks (mostly alcoholic) and a few snacks and went out. I had water with me thankfully or I would have been very thirsty. We walked from about 115 to 445. And I took the short route. Some of the others walked for about another hour! It was really fun however and good exercise too. :)

 After our walk we all went to Linda's for a BBQ. The boys brought out the bench for the neighbors to come over an have a beer, and we enjoyed the rest of the evening.

The rest of the week was pretty normal; attempting to wake up and go to school. Succeeding, but only just, and doing a lot of homework. With all of the days off we have been having lately it is really hard to get into a good routine, but eventually I will get it down. We have two more days off the month, so I will have more to tell you of course, and there is all the other stuff that is going on.... Well that will have to wait for another day, but I will start drafting now so it wont be too much longer.  Oh and "May the Fourth" be with you!







No comments:

Post a Comment