Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Sad Day?


When I first started writing today's blog I was sitting outside the writing center, waiting to talk to Iris (over Skype) before starting my very last shift. I was contemplating how today was a sad day when one of my former professors and chair of the English Department walked by. She told me she has been using my portfolio from last years argument class, as an example of good work! Ir was the boost in my day I needed :D

I talked with Iris for a bit after that, Ben joined in on the conversation too :) for a few minutes at least. I am looking forward to getting to know Ben a little better. He seems like he is going to be a real fun guy to hang out with. Yesterday, he started following Chis's and my blog, like you all should be doing ;). He used a different name from the one he uses on Facebook, so we didn't know who he was. After a bit of shameless social network stalking, we still couldn't figure it out. Chris posted asking if anyone knew who that was and of course, Ben all cool and sneaky says he might know who that is. Iris thought it was all a joke, but eventually we figured it out. Ok fine, she told us :P If this is an example of how things are going to be in Germany, we certainly wont have a dull moment. Not that Ben is a prankster, but just the combination of personalities will be great fuel for some comedy.

 Iris and I at her Birthday party last year. No the purple wasn't planned
This morning I learned I am not a recipient of the Gilman Scholarship, I applied for. It was the only scholarship I could apply for in the time frame I was working with. Chris didn't get an award either, so that will cut into our travel budgets a bit. Don't fear. We will just be a little more creative with how we travel and a little stingier with our budgets, and we will still have plenty to do. We did invest in an ISIC (International Student Identification Card) which will give us additional discounts and give us a bit of travel insurance. We also got a Hostel.com gold card at orientation that will give us free bookings. So that will help as well. Otherwise I think the booking fee is something like three percent.

Pretty much every down today had an upside as well. Even the power being out. I am writing (well, I was) this blog post on paper first, by candle light. I didn't want to stop an think and waste some of the battery I have left on my laptop (not knowing of course when the power will come back on). Writing by candle light is fun and different. What isn't fun to do by candle light? NOTHING! The best part i think is watching the wax run down the side of the tapers I stuck in a bowl, making the candle all knobby and rustic. The only thing that would make it better is if I didn't have to force the wax to run down the sides. Stupid drip free candles. Well, maybe they really aren't stupid, but smart. It's just I like drippy candles. I think I did a pretty good job at making it look genuine. 

I am working on another video, that is a little more general, as in: this is my everyday life. Having the power out isn't exactly helping me edit the footage, and it need some serious editing for time alone. I might make it into two vlogs. Right now I have 30 plus minutes of grade A entertainment. Ok, maybe it isn't the best, but entertaining nonetheless (no I didn't mean to make that rhyme: it is just a bonus! :)). I don't want to make any of the videos that long. I think at the longest a vlog will be is about 15 minutes. Anything more than that just seems to be just a bit much.


Only two more months to the day! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment